Skip to main content

Laurie & Simone Become Authors

After winning gold at the Olympics, Final Five members Laurie Hernandez and Olympic All-Around Champion, Simone Biles can now add the title of "author" to their resumes.



Simone's autobiography, "Courage to Soar" will be released Nov. 15, 2016.  In a preview of the book, Simone details her early struggles in elite, starting with the 2011 junior championships where she placed 14th and barely missed making the junior national team.

She recounts her intimidation while competing with prominent juniors like Lexie Priessman, Amelia Hundley, Katelyn Ohashi, with whom she would compete with at the 2013 American Cup. She describes choking back tears while watching the National team announcements:

"Tears were bubbling up inside me, but I refused to let the other girls or the coaches see me cry. I kept telling myself I’d done my best, trying to drown out the little voice in my head that whispered, But did you really? Couldn’t you have worked a little harder? Why didn’t you do more? The truth is that my heart was breaking. I had come to Nationals with a goal of making the 2011 team, and it didn’t happen. I simply hadn’t been good enough. That’s how my journey as an elite gymnast began—with a defeat that put an ache in my heart and doubts in my mind."

You can read the rest of the preview here.

Laurie announced today via her Instagram account, her first book, titled "I Got This: To Gold and Beyond" is being published by Harper Collins and will be released January 24, 2017.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elise Ray Officially Named Washington Head Coach

Elise Ray, 2000 Olympic Bronze Medalist,  US National Champion, NCAA champion, has been named the head coach at the University of Washington's gymnastics program, following the retirement of longtime head coach, Joanne Bowers.

Peyton Ernst Transfers to Alabama

 Peyton Ernst announced that she's transferred to the University of Alabama to complete her education and to continue her college gymnastics career.

Kyla Ross Out of Worlds Selection

Kyla Ross has ended her bid for a  spot on a third world championship team and withdrawn from worlds selection camp for the world championships in Glasgow, Great Britain. USA Gymnastics released a statement earlier today confirming Kyla's withdrawal from the selection camp, which starts Oct. 6th.